This list of casino terms in which we are going to explore different niches and meanings of certain phrases in four different gaming genres.
For your convenience, the casino terms are grouped according to the type of game:
- Slot machine;
- Video poker;
Blackjack is one of the most popular casino games full of new casino terms. Also, this game is considered one of the safest ways to place bets, provided that you understand the game’s basic strategy. Any player interested in blackjack should master the following terminology.
- Blackjack – 21 points in total; the initial hand consists of two cards.
- Overkill – a situation when the total amount of points exceeds 21.
- Pruning – dividing a deck of cards into pieces before dealing.
- Discard Tray – The area to the dealer’s right, which stores all the cards that came out of the game.
- Doubling – doubling the bet after opening the first hand; the player receives precisely one card.
- More – add a new card to the current hand.
- Early refusal – the player can refuse to continue the game before the dealer checks for blackjack.
- Stiff hand – A hand with a tough ace or no aces at all. The opposite of a soft hand.
- A Face-down card is the dealer’s face-down card.
- The insurance bet is one of the casino terms for an additional bet, and works as insurance against the appearance of blackjack at the dealer when the face-up card is an ace.
- Late Waiver – This bet is only allowed if the dealer does not have blackjack.
- Natural Blackjack is a two-card hand worth 21 points.
- Draw – a draw between the player and the dealer.
- Shuz is a unique device for distributing cards.
- A soft hand is a hand that contains an ace. The opposite of a hard hand.
- Unsuccessful hand – a hand that can lose on one move; her score ranges from 12 to 16.
- Refusal to play is when the player refuses to continue the game while taking half of the original bet.
- Up Card – The dealer’s first card dealt, placed face up.
Slot machines are perhaps the most popular game in any casino. Nowadays, interest in them is reviving due to their wide availability in online casinos. However, if you are new to slots, before taking on the one-armed bandit, familiarize yourself with the terminology below.
- Bonus Game is a secondary phenomenon when playing on slot machines; it usually results in special prizes.
- Buy-A-Pay machines provide different winning combinations depending on the number of tokens wagered.
- A carousel is a group of slot machines.
- Credit is a unit of rates, also known as a coin/token.
- Hit – slang for winning or winning combination of symbols.
- Jackpot is the largest payout provided in the slot machine pay table.
- Max Bet – the maximum number of credits that can be wagered per spin.
- A multi-line Game is a online slot with more than one payline.
- The multiplier is a function that increases the size of the payout.
- Pay Line is an imaginary line on which symbols must line up in specific combinations to win prizes.
- Pay Table – stipulated payments for each winning combination.
- A progressive jackpot is a jackpot that grows as people play a particular game.
- Reels – initially, these were rotating barrels with symbols. Now, these are electronic areas where game symbols “rotate.”
- Scatter Symbol is a symbol due to which a prize is paid, or a bonus is activated, regardless of which payline it fell on.
- Volatility – the ratio of the size of jackpots to their frequency in the game.
- Wild Symbol – replaces all other symbols to form a winning combination.
Video poker terms
Video Poker is a popular modern game that stands out with a variety of casino terms. By analogy with video slots machines, video poker offers instant rewards (and many other slot options) and provides an element of skill, thereby achieving high replay value. Here is a glossary of basic video poker terms to help you get familiar with the game before trying real-life bets.
- Bonus Poker is a bonus option for certain high denomination cards.
- Deuces Wild Poker is a video poker variant in which all deuces are jokers.
- Double Bonus Poker is a popular video poker variant that offers certain bonus payouts for high-value hands.
- Double Double Bonus Poker is a popular video poker variant that multiplies winnings with a kicker card.
- Flush is a hand of suited cards.
- Full House is a pair and triplet hand.
- Joker Poker is a video poker variant that provides one joker card.
- Natural Royal is a royal flush without a joker.
- Royal Flush is a straight flush consisting of the highest-ranked cards: 10, J, Q, K, and A of any suit.
- Straight is a hand made up of consecutive cards, such as 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- Straight Flush is a set of suited cards.
- Wild Royal – joker flush; less valuable than a natural grand piano.
Roulette is perhaps not as popular today as 50 or 100 years ago, but this game still has its loyal fans. Developers of online games release various roulette games, which means that the classics of gambling tables are still of interest to river slot casino visitors. Learn the terminology of the roulette game, so you don’t get confused when the time comes to play for real.
- American Wheel is a game wheel with 38 cells, numbered from 1 to 36, plus two zeros: 0 and 00.
- Column Bet – a bet on one of three columns comprising 12 digits. It pays 2 to 1.
- Corner Bet – a bet on four numbers, the chip is placed at the intersection of these numbers. It pays 8 to 1.
- Dozen Bet – a simultaneous bet on one of three groups of twelve numbers. It pays 2 to 1.
- En Prison is an optional rule that applies to even odds bets, found mainly in Europe.
- European Wheel is a game wheel with 37 cells, numbered from 1 to 36, plus one zero.
- Five Number Bet – This bet is available when playing American Roulette. It covers a combination of cells 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. It pays 6 to 1.
- An inside bet is any bet placed on numbers inside the markup.
- Outside Bet – any bet on equal chances (red / black, even / odd, high / low) or bets with payout odds 2 to 1 (on 12 numbers or columns).
- Street Bet – an inside bet on three numbers. It pays 11 to 1.
Please bookmark this page in your browser. Then, the next time you encounter an unfamiliar gambling term, you can quickly go to our list of casino terms and find the definition you need.